There are many platforms providing hosting service, in a manner where :
• You can build, design and optimize a template theme based website or a blog site, in-house.
• Have access to the space and all of your files.
• No code level access.
Such are called template theme based portal hosted websites.
WordPress.com, Blogger, Squarespace, Shopify, Magento are the leading platforms offering this kind of all-in-one solution.
WordPress being the worldwide leader having 30% of global market share for this type of service and is almost as big as all the rest above combined together.
Similarly, there are many hosting servers offering services, where :
• One can host a domain for a business website or for posting article blogs by renting or buying a chosen server space from the company engaged in providing such services.
• Develop a website through programming, but without any support from the server-owner vis a vis developing, optimizing or designing software.
• Alongside also have code level access.
Such method is called self-hosting website development system.
Bluehost, Hostgator, Amazon, Dreamhost are typical examples of top server space owners and renters, normally used by such bloggers.
According to us, Advantages In Portal Hosted Websites are much greater than self hosting, which we will discuss soon.
If you opt for WordPress.com then you would be on the its server and would fall under the category of a – Theme based hosted site !
But if you use this application for a self-hosted plan i.e. want to host your domain on another mainframe, then you need to download the WordPress.org software.
Both choices have their own strengths, positives, limitations and boundations.
As per us, there are major drawbacks in self-hosting website development system, which is why it’s a bad idea.
One would know and understand the advantages in portal hosted websites only after one experiences the same.
Only those who get a chance to try out both options would understand the pros and cons of both systems.
Let us explain why we think so.
Which one is a better option ?
Self hosting ?
Opting for a template theme based website ?
One could say that it depends upon :
• Your requirement.
• Technical knowledge.
• Time, manpower and resources at your disposal
• If you require any special features.
It’s like deciding between :
Sending your child for extra classes in a group coaching center.
Hiring a teacher to come over to your house for giving tuitions.
The former proves to be cheaper, but does not provide much room for personalization.
Whereas the latter is costlier, but provides much more flexibility in terms of modifying schedules and thrust on the important subjects.
Group study classes could overcrowded and during internal examinations.
Some students might find it easy to copy answers from the child seated next to him.
Whereas in a home study session, the teacher could monitor if any student engages in any mischief during a test.
Exceptions always exist, as for large corporates, the option in the image above is obviously the inevitable choice.
It also depends upon what your priorities are –
A. Would you prefer enabling designing personalization and code level access ?
Practicality, adequate security and hassle-free running ?
B. Would you rather compromise on customization facilities ?
Opt for ultimate stability, ease-of-use and better customer support ?
Self hosting works out more costly as compared to template theme based hosted websites.
This is especially in cases where a smooth functionality is of topmost importance.
Customers feeling unsatisfied with their website construction and SEO agency and looking for another web developer is a usual phenomenon.
Chances of conflicts between a vendor and vendee are quite common in such a business.
One needs to understand that poorly made web pages leave a very bad impression on educated consumers.
Let us discuss some matters below which might help you evaluate a bit.
• All points mentioned below are pertaining to small and medium size companies wanting modest to middle volume websites.
• Such suggestions are for clients 100% serious about generating high-standard output.
• Discussing only middle to average level website promoters and developers here.
The Main Benefits In Self-hosting Website Development System
1. One has the flexibility to choose a preferred server.
This opens up the room for an access to the open-source applications, templates and extensions available online.
2. It’s possible to buy, upload or import any open-source plugin or theme from the internet.
One has far more room to customize the features, layout and formatting aspects during the website building process.
3. Deciding for such a mode website building is especially gainful for those who already have IT skills.
Or for the ones going for a large scale exercise, with special features and able to afford an in-house programmer.
In fact, people capable of coding or able to afford hiring an IT engineer, should select this option preferably.
4. The self-hosted style may not be a bad idea if budget is not an issue and you are prepared try out a few website building companies.
Such is because the first experiment with in such cases usually goes wrong.
Then one abandons a project mid-way and moves on to the next web developer.
5. It’s possible to shift to any other server without too much of difficulty.
That is provided that your website building service provider has taken the latest backup.
6. You can monetize your blog through online ads.
Key Drawbacks In Self-hosting Website Development System
1. You would have to ensure that your web developer buys space on a high quality server.
2. Data privacy problems, virus attacks and hacking risks due to usually-used untested third-party plugins is common.
3. An example of the drawbacks in self-hosting website development is that such are vulnerable to crashing during plugin uploads.
4. Such domains consume a heavy back-end maintenance and troubleshooting charges and service rates.
5. Issues like :
- Overlapping images and text in web pages !
- Inconsistencies in rendering.
- Mobile incompatibility.
- Alignment problems.
- Complex navigation elements.
- Unclear text.
- Non-clickable buttons.
- Odd and sudden gaps or spaces.
- Varying font sizes.
- Untidy menus and errors of different sorts, often crop up in such type of domains.
6. It may be difficult for a new programmer to guarantee a symmetrical continuation, after taking over from the previous one.
7. One of the drawbacks in self-hosting website development is that one is unable to make modifications if technically unqualified.
The entire interface for a novice is highly complicated.
Even promoting own website on social media becomes a headache, leave apart making updations.
8. The auto update and maintenance facility is not available.
You would need to be sure that your web developer takes a backup of all files, including the code, on a regular basis, manually.
9. If ever you decide switching over to another website construction agency, the transition and migration stage may or may not be smooth.
10. It’s true that self or shared-hosting opens up an unlimited room for maneuverability on various technical aspects.
But very few middle size website building companies have that kind of expertise.
The ones not sure about how to add or change a feature, somehow successfully convince you about why that certain facility cannot be included or changed.
And a fully-equipped website construction agency, charges heavy prices.
The best way for consumers to extract the maximum out of a self-hosting is to hire own coding engineers.
It could help them in dealing with website building companies taking up such contracts.
Moreover, that works out very expensive for whom a completely professional output is a priority.
11. Another example of the drawbacks in self-hosting website development is that there are hidden charges and prices involved.
Let’s say, you require an SSL certificate for online security – then the web developer might ask you for an additional amount to enable that.
You surely will end up paying substantial cost of self-hosting in case daily updations required.
12. Generally, 24X7 customer support is unavailable.
Normally, the full staff in medium size website building companies usually works only during the daytime.
You find only 1 or 2 junior level, helpline professionals to address your call, in night hours, if needed.
24X7 technical care at the renowned server renters, is always available.
Nevertheless, generally, one requires help from the website construction agency and not from the space owners side.
13. Another instance of the drawbacks in self-hosting website is that it’s unlikely for the back-end code to be clean.
Your site might function well, but the chances of duplication and unnecessary html being present in your code are high.
This is a typical error upsetting the search engines.
14. The server space you buy, would most likely run on enterprise software.
However, there is no guarantee that your web developer would use licensed website programming software at their end.
In addition if they rent space on a middle category server – then downtime issues crop up.
Pirated applications are prone to faults, errors and bugs.
15. Often you might need to personally call the web developer whenever any matter remains unresolved after email or chat.
So, that was the list of some of the drawbacks in self-hosting website development system as per our perception.
The Major Advantages In Portal Hosted Websites
1. One may feel assured of having a fully functional product.
The probability of any technical glitch or server downtime problem is the least under such technologies.
Navigation and browsing is neat, stable, effortless and smooth.
2. You are secured against virus attacks, malware attacks, phishing or data hacking threats during the subscription period.
3. The available extensions and themes are not as many in contrast to the unlimited access in the self-hosting system.
But the in-house variety under the paid-plans are quite sufficient.
Another advantage here is – Zero risk of your website crashing during plugin uploads.
4. You can virtually launch a middle level blogging site within one month.
5. It’s practical as you can easily make an unlimited number of modifications, sitting at home or office.
Website building companies are bound by certain norms.
A client has a right to ask them for the admin login password during any stage, be it during or after the entire exercise.
The system is user-friendly and Google AMP compatible having an easy-to-understand interface for adding, deleting or modifying anything.
It’s simple for any new user to just login and insert or delete anything without any knowledge of programming.
This is one of the best properties of this technology as it dispenses easily maintainable websites.
6. Such platforms are equipped with troubleshooting any problem a subscriber faces 24X7.
Such portals have customer help engineers, world-over who can provide help at any time.
Your call or chat message gets routed to the staff depending upon global time zones.
You would never need to call the technical care engineers, as email or chat support takes care of all issues.
7. You can be assured of a clean code at the backend and that is a positive factor for search engine optimization.
8. One of the advantages in portal hosted websites is that such systems offer an all-in-one solution.
They also install enterprise software on their servers.
This brings an additional benefit to domains running on their gateways.
The system on its own sorts out technical errors, bugs and browser or mobile incompatibility issues.
9. Such platforms provide an SSL certificate, i.e. all hosted websites come with adequate security through the https prefix.
10. Generally, the first experience is the last one for the ones opting for such a technology.
It’s very rare to see clients finding faults like untidy menus, jerky movements in browsing etc. They end up being lifetime members here.
11. The annual subscription charges include automatic maintenance, data backups and software updates without any hidden charges and prices.
12. A small to medium size website developed on such kind of gateways enjoys a stronger integration and compatibility with social media marketing networks in comparison to the self-hosting system.
Minor Disadvantages In Portal Hosted Websites
1. You cannot choose a preferred service and will be confined to using the server space owned by the platform.
2. An adequate number of safe and tested plugins and extensions are available in-house for paid-members.
Though not as many as one can find in the self or shared hosting option.
One cannot upload any open-source plugin and would need to work within the limited layout and theme capabilities.
3. You won’t be able to monetize your website.
WordPress.com provides the option of Google Adsense Advertising to its business-plan subscribers, though.
4. Your web developer has access only to the automatically backed up files.
Code-level access is not available. Hence, shifting to another server or gateway is cumbersome.
However, WordPress has made websites, shifting-to and shifting-away procedure simple.
5. You are dependent upon the company that owns the platform where your content resides.
As such gateways always send an advance notice, the process of shifting to another server becomes unavoidable.
However, this probability is rare as we are only discussing world-class web hosting companies here.
6. It’s not possible to import or modify applications, so suitable for small and medium volume websites.
Readymade template based themes have some boundations; hence, a handicap for blogs and web pages built on such platforms.
7. Sometimes, restrictions in some designing facilities might be frustrating.
But, at least one is prepared in-advance, to adapt within those limitations.
Choose The Template Theme Based Website Building Option
All said and done, the above discussion is pertaining to construction of premium and exclusive websites only.
Clients for whom, design is more important than first-grade performance, may very well choose any option.
Nevertheless, it’s impossible for novices and middle level businesses to develop and fully optimise a top class website on self-hosting system in a cost effective manner.